Youth Protection Training Policy
Effective September 1, 2017, Youth Protection Training (YPT) will be required for all adult leaders at the time of registration. Paper applications from new leaders must be accompanied by a Youth Protection Training completion certificate, which must be filed with the application.
Because completion of YPT is now required for all leaders at the time of registration, unit leaders must obtain copies of the completion certificates from the leaders who register online before approving their application.
With the upcoming renewal cycle, the Internet Rechartering system will be updated so that units cannot submit the registration renewal of any adult who does not have current YPT as of the effective date of the renewal. Completion of YPT as part of the online registration system will be required in a future update. Additionally, council registrars will no longer be able to override the registration system to register any leader whose Youth Protection Training is not current.
Effective for the 2018 BSA summer camp season, any adult accompanying a Boy Scout troop to a residence camp or other Scouting activity lasting 72 hours or more must be registered as a leader, including completion of a CBC (Criminal Background Check) and YPT, even if they are the parent of a youth on the trip.
Please Note: Although YPT is strongly encouraged for adults attending any overnight activity, at this time, the requirement applies only to individual adults staying three or more nights at a resident camp.
ADULT LEADERSHIP YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING POLICY
The Boy Scouts of America desires 100% youth protection training among all of its’ adult volunteers over 18 years of age, and among Venturing youth participants over 18 years of age. This policy is intended to equip leaders with resources to provide protection to our youth, but also for our adult leadership, chartered partners, the Las Vegas Area Council and the Boy Scouts of America.
Historically, Las Vegas Area Council has relied upon voluntary participation and cooperation by all Scouters and youth participants over 18 years of age, but has not achieved the desired 100% compliance. Scouters with a current email in their My.Scouting account will receive notices about their youth protection training expiration and can review their contact information and their youth protection status by checking their My.Scouting account. We encourage voluntary compliance. Unit Key 3’s can update training records to reflect completed training that is not accurately recorded. Commissioners are also available to assist units with ensuring 100% YPT training. In the absence of voluntary compliance, in the Las Vegas Area Council, our policy is as follows:
- For unit, district, or council charters effective on or after January 1, 2016, no adult or youth participant over 18 will be reregistered without a current, valid Youth Protection Training certificate for the traditional youth protection training, or venturing youth protection training, depending upon the program in which they are registering. Individuals involved in either Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts, and Exploring or Venturing will need the program-specific YPT certificates.
- If an adult Scouter or youth participant over 18 does not possess a current youth protection training certificate at any time during their registration year, the Las Vegas Area Council will expire the individual’s membership. In order to be reinstated, the individual will need to complete a new membership application, provide a valid YPT certificate, and pay the applicable registration fee.
- Any youth member who turns 18 during a recharter year, and desires to remain as a youth participant over age 18 or serve in any other adult volunteer capacity must complete the applicable YPT training no later than their 18th birthday, otherwise, their membership will be revoked.
- During the 2017 recharter cycle (charters due on or after December 3, 2016), it will be the Council’s policy that no adult Scouter or youth participant over 18 will be renewed if their YPT certificate will expire at any time during their respective recharter year.
- This policy will apply to direct contact leaders in cub packs, scout troops, varsity teams, venturing crews, sea scout ships, explorer posts, STEM labs; chartered organization representatives; merit badge counselors; unit, district and council commissioners and their assistants (including roundtable commissioners and their assistants); committee chairs and members at the unit, district and council level, as well as the council executive and advisory boards.
- Participation in various district, council, area, region or national events or programs may require additional YPT training.
- Chartered partners may impose additional youth protection training requirements in excess of these YPT requirements.